Ken Sterling

Default proper bolt torque on Farmall Cub

Subject: proper bolt torque on Farmall Cub
From: (Don)
Date: 21/07/04 13:29 GMT Daylight Time
I am not sure what grade bolts were in there but I put grade 5 back
in. (new bolts) The threaded portion the bolts go into are in the
transmisison casing itself which i assume is cast iron. I was more
afraid of stipping those out than anything.

Can I get by with 20 ft lbs?

If you think you know more about the engine's design and requirements and bolt
theory than the guy who designed the engine then by all means carry on. If you
replace high tensile bolts with pieces of **** and do them up to half the
required torque and it all falls apart don't be too surprised.

--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Then again, it's a 49 Farmall Cub tranny - not a hi-perf 454....
Ken.