Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger[_6_] Roger[_6_] is offline

Default forks for scissor lift

wrote in message
I've got a scissor lift (Snorkel) at my ranch and was considering whether
it's feasible to add a pair of removable forks to use it occasionally
inside buildings as a fork lift. The scissor lift has a pull-out platform
on one end that can handle at least 250 lbs of live load (the pull-out
platfrom itself must weight at least 150 lbs). So, forks mounted on the
opposite end should be good for 400 lbs or so. It would be used inside a
couple of buildings for moving pallets around including in and out of
racks. For outside work, I have a forklift attachment for one of my
tractors, but the tractor is too big for some inside work.

Has anyone heard of something like this? What is the (falling) downside?
How would you go about it? Where to get the materials? I've got good
welding skills (torch, mig, stick). I was thinking of a couple of
Z-shaped forks. One end of each fork would slide into a steel casing that
I would weld to the floor of the scissor lift; the other end would slide
into a pallet.

Mike

Sounds like you maybe an entrant for the Darwin Awards this year.