Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Killing Tree Roots

On Mar 8, 10:48*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
wrote:
I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. *There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? *If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

I believe in uprooting trees. *When I have wanted to keep a tree,
severing and removing the errant roots is an excellent solution.

Dick

Since it sounds like the trees are in areas where you don't want
stumps, I would get them cut down and then grind the stumps. If you
choose to do the cutting yourself, you can contact a local tree
service for the grinding. If you're not in a hurry and tell them they
can do it anytime in the next couple months, etc, you may get a good
rate.

If any growth emerges, Roundup (glyphosate) will take care of it.