Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Sheet Metal Sticker Shock

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:43:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Anthony quickly quoth:

Tim Wescott wrote in
:

You would be cheaper to make it 3 pcs and use the bracket for afixing the
3. The reason is that the parts can then be cut on a waterjet or laser, at
very low cost, including tight location holes. When you get into bending,
you cannot put the tight tolerance holes in prior to bending, because of
tolerance stack-up. This makes fixturing for the holes to be put in later
difficult task. The savings would more than pay for a snap-in plastic
corner strip to cover the sharp edges.
I would re-think it along these lines Tim.

I picked up a 20' stick of 3/4" x 3/4" angle iron a few days ago and
it cost a bleeding $14.90! He told me it had gone up 30% two weeks
ago and was going up another 10% today. Steel plate is being rationed!

Hayseuss Crisco, it's getting expensive out there...

China is sucking up a lot of steel. As much as they make, they've been in
deficit for a few years. Hold onto those used nails, we may need them.

That is, if there's anything left to eat. They're sucking up a lot of grain,
too. They've developed a taste for finished beef, and beer. If they increase
production by three beers per year per Chinese adult, they will consume more
grain that all that grown in Norway. And we're using a lot of ours to make
ethanol, which consumes almost a gallon of oil to make a gallon equivalent
of ethanol.

And once those Chinese get loaded on their three beers per year, they'll
need something to drive. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress