Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Sheet Metal Sticker Shock

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 02:08:24 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I'm planning on either using Rulon bearing inserts from McMaster, or just
running the shaft against the aluminum.

Dunno about the adjustable bearing idea -- I've considered it, but if I'm
paying to have it assembled it may be worth a bit of time on a milling
machine to avoid having to find someone who's capable of doing the
bearing adjustment right. The whole bearing adjustment issue is being
driven by the sensor, so I'm going to look into that part independently.

It's important that it look reasonably professional, but bare aluminum
may be good enough -- I may ask for another quote without the anodizing.

$36 doesn't sound out of line based on my understanding of the sketch.
What's the piece marked "bracket"? A welded-in gusset? Depending on
the configuration and requirements, welding may be expensive.

Assuming the shop has a Timesaver belt sander, the brushed finish and
anodize shouldn't add more than a couple dollars to the price.

You may be able pay for the finish by buying your bushings from Igus.
http://www.igus.com/

--
Ned Simmons