Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Killing Tree Roots

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 05:49:59 -0800, wrote:

I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

Easy way: Cut down the trees. Remove enough of the stumps so that
the mower blades can safely move over the stumps (prevent mower
damage!). This will allow easy sucker removal. Leaves provide food
for the tree; without leaves the roots will die. No need to remove
the roots or stumps. You can speed stump rotting by drilling several
deep holes into each stump and keeping the holes filled with 34-0-0
fertilizer.