Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Sheet Metal Sticker Shock

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 00:15:56 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:
snip
Is this just what I can expect to pay for these things? Did I go to the
wrong shop? What are the cost drivers here?

snip
===========
Looks like an interesting project.

The first cost driver is the low volume.

I would take a walk through WalMart, a kitchen/restaurant supply
with lots of pans, etc. and see what was close enough to modify.
Possibly something plastic, unless you need metal. A plastic box
with a snap on lid is good as you can pack everything inside.

These sites also looked interesting (stand on end?)
http://www.radiodaze.com/catalog-306-page62-63.pdf
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg11.htm
(many other types on hammond site)

The brush/anodize finish looks nice but is extra handling and an
avoidable cost. If possible get a prefinished container or
chassis

It may be cheaper to drill oversize holes for the bearings and
then use separate bearing pieces with sheet metal screws to allow
adjustment/alignment rather than trying to hold close tolerances
on position and size on a single fabricated/folded part.

I would consider plastic for the bearings also. You should be
able to make quite serviceable bearings yourself from plastic
strip, possibly reaming the bearing hole for a good finish if
required.

You can also make a long reamer/alignment tool from a piece of
drill-rod to insure that the holes are inline from side to side.
Indeed, you might be able to use pop rivets here also eliminating
the sheet metal screws and speeding assembly.

If you need it, as a box or pan with closed ends will be
considerably more rigid, you may also be able to use
off-the-shelf L brackets and pop-rivet to the sides.

A little value analysis and you should be able to knock these out
at home with a drill press. For sheet metal a special drill is
helpful. For examples click on
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/GEN...-Capacity.html
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Another possibility is a wood base with the "sides" made from
commercial L brackets attached to the base with screws.

Good luck and let the group know how you make out.

Feel free to email if you think I help.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: