Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default 'puter repair

Ignoramus24341 wrote:
On 2008-03-06, Karl Townsend wrote:

Thanks for the help, everybody.

Followup. It was the power supply. I had a spare in a CNC control computer
I'm not using right now.

METALWORKING CONTENT. Dell's power supply has no switch and the metal case
was made just for it. So I had to make a bracket to hold a hole saw and saw
a piece of the case out to fit the new supply. Took over an hour.

Now you know why those of us who mess with our own computers, do not
like Dells.

Well, I have FIVE Dells I use here, two are on 24/7, the kid's
one is on all day every day, and my desktop at work is on 24/7
too. I have found them to be great. All are Optiplex desktops,
from their commercial-grade systems. I did have to replace the
CPU fan on my desktop at home, and the kid's computer crashed
when the CPU heatsink clogged up with dust. Otherwise, they
have been running for years. I have sold about a dozen
off-lease Dell Optiplex machines to EMC cnc customers, and had
only one that had a problem.

Jon