Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default got a DTV converter

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:35:12 GMT, larry wrote:

wrote:

call your coingressional reps the will delay the changeover date a few
more years

tell them you can't see their political ads ;-) also, they
want that radio frequency auction money NOW!

batt op? easy, most computer stores have ATSC usb sticks
for less than the converter box.

So these things work! I figured the antenna would be too small or
something.

What about the DVR software that comes with them? Does that work too?

If one went away on vacation for 2 weeks and wanted to record one
daytime hour every weekday and 3 or 4 hours per week at night, which
is about 18 hours total, wouldn't I need a humongous harddrive to hold
all that? (Plus everything else I have on my harddrive, of course.)

My friend maybe not, but I'd also want to be able to watch the TV
program full screen on one monitor while doing my computer stuff on an
other monitor full screen. Hard to do?

What brand(s) do you recommend?

of course the congress
critters won't let you use your $40 coupons for those.

Exactly. Some FAQ of their said they didn't want to pay for upgrading,
only to keep current. But for my regular tv, the only reason I would
now buy a digital dvd recorder, for example, is to keep current, since
I already have a vcr and it's all I needed, and they would still only
be paying 40 dollars. So now I'll probably buy a 50 dollar box and
eventually buy that DVD recorder, paying the full price myself, and
never use the box again that they chipped in 40 dollars on.

I might, and a friend might
we've been using tv cards in the computers the past 5 years.
everyone around here wants to watch their own program
anyways, wonder how long the tv will exist as a standalone.

-- larry / dallas