Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carla Fong Carla Fong is offline

Default Label Plastic lumber

Up North wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I have a project to rebuild a dozen park benches for my local Rotary club.

We're interested in replacing the redwood on the bench with recycled
plastic lumber. http://www.complexplastic.com/lumber...orce/INDEX.HTM

A requirement is to have each bench prominently labeled. The old redwood
was engraved and painted. Will that work on this material? Or would
applying vinyl sign material work well? Other options?

Karl

You could sandblast the design in with a sandblast mask cut on a vinyl
cutter or a metal stencil.
Steve

Vinyl sign material will peel off a textured substrate in a couple of
years (or less).

Easy/quick way - get a custom stencil, use the Krylon spray paint
designed for plastics. That should be quite permanent, even as the paint
fades and chips away the text remains visible on the wood/plastic
material for a long time.

For stencils, see a local sign shop or order from us:
http://www.MarkMyStuff.com

Carla