Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is a DirectTV antenna useful for anything

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:19:11 -0500, mm
wrote:

Is a DirectTV antenna useful for anything?

I"m not interested in stealing directtv but when I saw the antenna in
the trash, I thought the coax would be useful.

Now before I throw the rest away, I wonder if it is useful for any
other purpose, like an antenna for broadcast stations, especially
since they are moving to digital.

Besides the dish and the white plastic thing in the focal point of the
dish, there is a tube that's bent in a flattened circle, clamped at a
couple places onto the dish. I have the feeling it's a non-satellite
antenna. Is it useful for anything?
Thanks.

I was looking for something else, a tv volume regulator, and I came
across this:

http://www.nextag.com/Audiovox-TERK-...1837E3BFF49FE9

The two parallel curved rods, connected at the ends, are the part of
the DirectTV antenna I was referring to above (which has the name TERK
on it). The interesting thing is a DirectTV antenna is aimed at a
satellite and therefore the extra part, wrapped around the edge, is
pretty much facing down.

Yet in the picture in this url, it appears to be facing the station,
and I think this is the "highly directional UHF elements". So why is
it facing down on t he directtv antennal?

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)