Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Solar Garden Lighs/sidewalk lights

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 04:22:00 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

:"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
.. .
: On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:17:08 -0600, wrote:
:
: A neighbor across the street has five of them along each side of his
: sidewalk.In the day time, the solar cells on top of the lights charge up
: a little battery, (even on cloudy days too) and at dusk, the lights
: light up and shine all night long.My neighbor said the lights wont put
: out any light if he brings them (or one of them) inside his house.The
: lights charge up in the day time, why wont they work inside his house?
:
:
: The mind boggles.... "the solar cells on top of the lights..."
: S.O.L.A.R meaning "pertaining to the sun"
: Does your neighbour have his own SUN inside the house???
:
:My mind really boggles. Light is light. Interior light will operate a solar
:cell, if it's intense enough.
:

As others have commented, interior lighting is unlikely to be intense enough to
charge the battery in a solar lamp intended for outdoor use. Almost impossible
when you consider the extremely poor efficiency of those piddling cheap solar
cells.

So, the mind still boggles :-)