Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Paint filling for engraving on ABS plastic?

"Usenet User" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:04:35 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

The paint can be wiped off, but will it stay in the groovies? Does it
harden after some time?

Thanks!

Yes it hardens just like regular paint. I am a locksmith and I use it
regularly on old safe dials so it is easier to see the numbers.

I have also used it on machine tool dials with good results.

The trick is that when you rub it in to the lines you get a good thick layer
of paint imbedded. A little does wipe off when you wipe the high spots but
if you wrap the rag firmly around your finger and wipe across the lines with
a light touch plenty stays inside.

--
Roger Shoaf