Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel disk source

"Up North" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
t...
I need a source for 24 pcs. of 1/4" to 3/8" thick by 4-1/2" to 5-1/2" diameter
steel disks. They will be end caps for 3-1/2" diameter tubes to make them
into rollers. Any ideas? I was thinking barbell weights for midgets, but
Google didn't show any...too politically incorrect?

Tom
I see you are capping your rollers with discs the same diameter as the tube.
This would require grinding the weld down to match the OD. I have been cutting
the discs I need when making rollers or wheels to be a slight press fit on the
tube ID. I priced out 5" dia discs and came pretty close to the catalog
price. Your local CNC plasma or laser cutting shop should be able to do them
for the same price.
Steve

No, reread the specs. The caps are 4.5" on a 3.5" tube. The flange will keep
the wooden spools from walking off the end of the roller as it unspools wire.
We're going to just weld the caps on and drill a 3/4" hole in the caps and weld
the caps to a 3/4" through shaft.