Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New easy to install DIY solar panels technology

Roger wrote:
The message
from Andy Champ contains these words:

Unlike TNP I am in favour of the Severn Barrage. It is claimed that this
alone could produce 10% of UK electricity demand and while that too
would be intermittent it would, within the limits of neap to spring
tides, be as absolutely dependable as any available, and, together with
a limited number of other sites spread round the coast, could satisfy
the bulk of the electricity demand 24/7.

Last time this came up, another site in the north was suggested - I
can't remember if it was the Solway, or Morecambe bay, one of those.
But when I dug it turned out the tides were a nice 6 hours away from the
Severn. Which means between them they have a steady generation rate.

The Severn is undoubtedly the best site but more than one oppo is needed
both because it will take several other sites just to match the Severns
output and because, as at present proposed, the generators would only
work when the tide is flowing and then for only for a part of the time.

The cabling to move the power around is perhaps more of an issue.

Most of the power would be needed in England (Scotland exports power) so
going too far North would increase transmission costs but don't forget
they get tides on the East and South Coasts as well. :-)

Yeah..why not put a dam across the channel between dover and calais?

Sod the shipping..who needs it?

Hey, we could make locks and charge the whole or Europe congestion charges!