Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default got a DTV converter

aemeijers wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
I received my 2 vouchers for the DTV-analog converters today,and went to
Wal-Mart and bought one. After using the voucher,it cost me $13 including
tax.
Overall,I'm satisfied;I lost Ch.2(NBC),but gained other channels I could
not receive,and got a excellent picture on all channels that have
sufficient signal strength.I'm going to try to find a better amplified
indoor antenna and see if that doesn't get me Ch.2 back.
Setup of the converter was not difficult.It's interesting that there are
sub-channels for many of the stations,like 24.1,.2,.3,etc.,with different
programming.
One thing is that the remote control for the converter is kinda funky;the
channel up/down buttons are very small and the large L/R/up/down 'cursor'
buttons only work for setup menus. It's possible to use a universal remote
with this model.(Magnavox TB100MW9)
My converter is not one that passes thru analog TV signals.
I'm also going to shop around for one of the converters that DO pass thru
the analog TV signals.(the list supplied has asterisks for those models)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small DTV antenna suitable for
apartment use,perhaps one that can be put outside on the balcony without
attracting undue notice?

My coupons showed up yesterday, and I ended up buying the Wally World
Magnavox-branded ones as well. For ten bucks each, plus tax, I'm happy.
I had similar problems losing the lowest channel, 3 around here. But I
have a year to figure it out- probably replace the weather-beaten
missing-elements roof antenna. If your TV has aux inputs, just split the
incoming antenna wire, and feed the signal that way. That is what I did
on bedroom TV. On living room TV, I have multiple sources anyway, and
just fed the converter into the mechanical switch box.
Best Buy only had Insignia brand, for 20 bucks over the coupon, in a big
clunky box. Since their sales droid ****ed me off as usual, I decided to
go across the street, and saved 10 bucks a unit besides, for a smaller
better looking box. (Yeah, I know, they all probably come from the same
factory in China and have identical guts.)

aem sends...

They aren't all the same, though some units are the same with different
names on them. If they look physically different they probably are.
http://www.avsforum.com has some threads discussing the various
converter boxes and the differences between them.