Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Picket fence options

In article
,
jtpr wrote:

We want to put a picket fence up on our property. The purpose is to
simply define the property line. There are no animals or children to
keep out or in. There will be gardening going on inside of it and
likely growing over some of it. About 150' of length, 3' high.

The question is maintenance. The property is located in an historic
area of the NH seacoast across the street from the ocean. But the
house style is 1930's bungalow, most of the others being from the 16
or 17 hundreds. Obviously the most pleasing aesthetic choice would
be the wooden fence painted white. But I am over maintaining
something like that at this stage of my life. So we have looked at
vinyl and metal. Vinyl seems to choice we are going with now, but I'm
not totally crazy about it. Then I thought, it really doesn't need to
be white, could be natural. But I'm not sure what the ramifications
of that would be.

So, I'm looking for suggestions about this.

Here is a link to pics of the house:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/gallery/4...62605902_TDxPe

Thanks for any ideas,

-Jim

Hmm, my browser thinks your New Castle folder is empty. But I did see
the thumbnail on the index page. Nice place! Here's my suggestion: Wood,
painted white. To hell with maintenance. Enjoy the character of the
thing as it ages. It ain't a hospital room, it's a fence! The older it
gets, the better it looks.