Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Can I replace a laptop battery with one of a different voltage?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:03:22 -0000, "hungerdunger"
wrote:

"PeterD" wrote in message
.. .

In short, there were a bunch of errors committed here. Trying to
cheaply fix up a laptop that was worth nothing anyway, getting cheap
and buying off eBay from China, accepting whatever junk they sent.

Get the correct battery, or junk the notebook (best move) and have a
beer. Forget the Chinese seller, and eBay the battery they sold you
and maybe you will recover *some* of the money you wasted.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my friend is chronically ill, and is
on an extremely tight budget. So while you or I might have junked the old
machine and forked out £400 for a much superior model, she is not able to.
She also felt that spending over £100 on a new battery was just not possible
at present.

What's that got to do with it?

Try collecting donations at local markets, charity, or other avenues.

And if she is so short of money, why did she gambol on a Chinese
battery from eBay? She has now lost more than she would have had she
just bought the proper battery from a reputable seller.