Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Glue and a chisel question

rich wrote:
Been meaning to ask about the difference between Titebond 1-2-3. The
only thing different is a slight variation in hold time and the
waterproof vs water resistant issue. I buy and use pint size
containers, and am wondering if there is any reason not just to settle
on titebond 3 as the glue of choice. Cost of glue is not a factor for
me. Are there situations where tb-1 or tb-2 is a better choice?????

There is some difference in strength--1 & 2 are somewhat stronger than 3
in test results I've seen. The difference in open time and lower chalk
temperature w/ 3 is the biggest advantage (other than the water
resistance, of course) if there's a reason for considering that important.

In summary, if you don't have a reason for choosing, it probably makes
no difference in reality. If you have a reason, you will know it...

And a thought on chisel sharpness. I have some L-V chisels that I
sharpen till they shave the arm hairs with a small micro bevel. For
hand use, esp with the grain, they cut like butter. When used with a
mallet to finish a mortice or other cross grain stuff, they seem to
dull quickly. Should I sharpen a chisel differently for different
uses? Angle to 35 degrees? or stop at the 4000 grit stone?

Forget the micro-bevel for hard use.