Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Glue and a chisel question

"rich" wrote ...
Been meaning to ask about the difference between Titebond 1-2-3. The
only thing different is a slight variation in hold time and the
waterproof vs water resistant issue. I buy and use pint size
containers, and am wondering if there is any reason not just to settle
on titebond 3 as the glue of choice. Cost of glue is not a factor for
me. Are there situations where tb-1 or tb-2 is a better choice?????

Indeed ... the color of the glue line, and the length of "open time", can be
a deciding factors in which you use for a certain projects.

And a thought on chisel sharpness. I have some L-V chisels that I
sharpen till they shave the arm hairs with a small micro bevel. For
hand use, esp with the grain, they cut like butter. When used with a
mallet to finish a mortice or other cross grain stuff, they seem to
dull quickly. Should I sharpen a chisel differently for different
uses? Angle to 35 degrees? or stop at the 4000 grit stone?

IME, most general purpose chisel bevels seem to come in at around 25
degrees, although I sharpen mine to 20 with at 5 degree secondary bevel to
get to the 25 degree cutting edge.

YMMV with the application and the type of wood you use. Experiment.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07