Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'puter repair

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

My slightly anal bookkeeper back-up his data at least 4 times a day to a zip
drive in addition to a RAID mirror. I back-up my drawings as I work on them
a thumb and documents once a week or so but I have hard copies. We've gotten
bitten and were lucky but the lesson stuck.

Great, you have data. Have you done a full bare metal bring up boxes from
scratch, put programs and data on them and get back in business restore?

That is from duplicates of os, tape backup, applications software disks as
in the office burned to the ground, the original cd /dvds are gone, paper
files with license keys, ect.

Back when I was doing the IT thing, I had tape, spare tape drive, interface
cards, duplicates of install media, configuration data, ect and once a year
I'd do a disaster restore drill.

Wes

For me to get a box up from scratch to functional in less than an hour. I have
customized XPP with the full OS and basic applicants on an unattended DVD, start
it up and walk away. Generations of back-ups and originals are in a big
fireproof safe and my thumb drive is in my pocket. We're pretty good but not
perfect.