Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv andyv is offline

Default lifting drain cover

On 6 Mar, 15:02, Paul Matthews wrote:
jal wrote:
BlackBat -- first thing I would do is find the next drain down the line
and look in there (if you can). *

Good advice.

It is more likely to be outdoors in case of a little mess, if that also shows
signs of blockage then move to the next one until you find one that is clear
and you can then work on the thought that the blockage is between them.

I'd also be tempted to try rodding from the clear end.

If you find (and clear) a blockage keep an eye on things. If the point of
blockage is outside and things start to slow again, it will probably be work
getting a camera up to check for damage - you may have a tree root or slippage
between pipes.
--
Paul Matthews * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This might not seem a likely solution but if your manhole cover is
strong enough to take it, a whack with a sledge hammer at several
points around the edge will often loosen it. Then get crow bars and
chisels in and finally it will lift but it's best if you've got some
manhole keys. I've seen professional sewer gangs whip up Victorian
manhole covers in the street in no time with nothing fancier than
this.

Don't hit it if it's a flimsy cast iron lid though. It'll break.