Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Slighlty OT, auto engine oil change intervals

Well, since you ask, what makes you think that the 3000 mile interval
was any more than a CYA effort on the part of the mfr? I firmly
believe that THEY realize that it's easier to get the average driver to
CHANGE the oil than to check it and add. They have to cover themselves
for the worst case driver and for the ones that make the shortest trips,
all with one number.

Did you note that, just recently most major mfrs doubled the intervals?
Did you know that at least one mfr (BMW) now goes by "key clicks"
instead of miles to notify the driver when its time to change?

Here's a question of my own:
How many of you who DO cahnge regularly keep careful track of the
oil consumption between those 3000 mile intervals? The people I know
who change that frequently simply pull the plug and haven't the
slightest idea how the engine is doing anyway.

When I trade the car in, it is so old that it's not an issue, even
though I always keep them in excellent mechanical condition. But, my
whole point is: what can you point to that says there's anything wrong
with my oil change interval, other than siting the common thought that
"it oughta be done more often"? What's wrong with a 300,000 mile
engine that still works well? Do you get 5000,000 miles with 5000
miles per quart BECAUSE of your 3000 mile interval? If you are like
most drivers, how would you know?

Pete Stanaitis

Carl Byrns wrote:

If you believe you have superior engineering insght- better than the folks
who designed and tested the engine and developed the oil-change interval-
then go for it. It is your car and your money.
But I'll bet you didn't mention the lack of service went you traded in, did
you?

-Carl