Posted to uk.d-i-y
BRG[_2_] BRG[_2_] is offline

Default lifting drain cover

blackbat wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:04:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Have you tried a well aimed and fast poured bucket of water? That'll
shift most things that should be down a toilet. If there is a risk
that something is down there (see previously posted list for ideas)
that shouldn't be get your hand in first and feel around the trap.
Squeamish? You could use a rubber glove and some bleach in the
water...

It's not the toilet, the drain for my kitchen sink also routes via
this cover and that is also taking time to dissipate.

How far below the slow toilet is this inspection cover? If it's as
jammed as you suggest it might be holding back a stack full of
****ty water until you disturb it then whoosh.... 110mm dia pipe
holds a lot of water, can't be arsed to do the maths but something
of the order of a gallon or 5 litres per foot (30cm) I should think.

Great - you're supposed to be giving me encouragement :-)

Nah! If the cover is not screwed down (and from your previous reply it
appears that way) then you can take some comfort in the fact that there is
no pressure there - if it was, then the lid would be on the ceiling by now -
and I would suggest the blockage is *before* the manhole.

Try putting a heavy screwdriver (after giving the manhole cover a sharp rap
or two with a hammer shaft) between the lid and frame rebate and press
down - you should see the cover give.

BRG