Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default kitchen floor cement board question

There are many factors to consider, but what is that weather paper under the
cement board. The cement board should be bonded with thinset directly to the
floor under it with NO paper between. I would not install 1/4 cement board
over wood boards as you have, you need for 12 x 12 tiles, 1/2" cement board
over a layer of plywood, as thick as your installation will allow. The
plywood should be glued and nailed down to the floor boards and the cement
board thinsetted down to the plywood.

wrote in message

Hi, I am remodeling my kitchen and redoing my floor. I will be using
12x12 porcelain tiles. I want to know what needs to go under the
tiles.

The contractor have removed the existing vinyl flooring with some kind
of backerboard, this is what I have now:

http://fenjing.smugmug.com/gallery/4460346_n85dF

I was under the impression the contractor will put weather paper, then
a layer of cement backboard, and then the tiles..

My question is, can the cement backboard (1/4 or ??) go directly on
top of this? Or do I need another layer of plywood board (how thick)
beneath the cement board?

I asked my dad (who is somewhat knowledgable but by no means a pro),
he said the plywood board is essential because the cement board is
brittle if lying directly on the wood beams.

Can someone help me? The contractor just started yesterday so I
haven't talked to him about the flooring yet. He did mention weather
paper and cement board. Should I insist on ? cement board if he is no
plywood is involved?

Thanks!

Raymond