Posted to alt.home.repair
Sanity[_2_] Sanity[_2_] is offline

Default Under slab water leak

wrote in message
My in-laws are hearing running water when inside their shower. I
turned off the main and bled the lines and it stops. When the main is
back on, the sound is back. So I'm sure it is a water leak either in
the wall or under the slab. Unfortunately, both sides of the wall
where the sound is coming from are tiled. If I remove the shower
faucet, that will give me a small access to the inside of the wall,
but it is too small to see very well. Is there any way I can probe
down to determine if the leak is in the copper ging from the slab up?

What I want to do is make certain it is an under slab leak before I
have someone come out and re plumb the entire house.

Thanks in advance.

Most large plumbing firms have the electronic equipment to sniff out the
leak. I had a slab leak when I lived in Florida. One plumber wanted to rip
up a big section of tile and concrete to look for the leak. I called this
other firm and althought the test is expensive, it costs a lot less that rip
up and guess. They pinpoint the leak at the edge of the laundry room and we
just had to rip up two tiles and found the leak at the bend of copper pipe
coming out of the slab. A lot cheaper than replumbing the house.