Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Adapting white LEDs as festoon bulbs?

In article , GregS
wrote:
The bluishness can be compensated for to a certain extent by coating
with varnish with a tiny spot of red dye mixed in.

I used to have the paints for coating lamps or glass from craft stores.

There's a big difference between tinting tungsten etc and LED. Tungsten is
continuous spectrum so a coloured filter merely reduces the output at that
wavelength. Trouble with LED is parts of the spectrum are missing so you
can't reduce others to boost what isn't there.

I'll have to try your mixture for led's. Warm white led's are becomming
more common, and are required for illumination of different things in
the home. My current need is making under cabinet kitchen lamps.

The last warm white LEDs I tried a few months ago were a bilious 'shade'
of green. IMHO we're still a long way from LED being as 'kind' as tungsten
for domestic use.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.