Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TMI TMI is offline

Default Humming noise.

It's a solvent and will wash the lube from anything you use it on with
clearances bigger than say a watch. In pot shafts, it washes the
silicon grease in the bushing that is responsible for the sexy feel of
otherwise crap pot, ONTO THE ELEMENT!

Lubing pots is a tricky subject. What works on carbon may disolve
conductive plastic. Washing the lube out of an old ceramic element pot
may leave it working very well, for about 3 turns.

WD-40 is a hack substitute for what once was Electrolube 2agx??????
which at the time was legal, used Freon and layed down a lube layer.

Cramolin liquid and a toothpick are the better answer.

As far as WD-40 stories. I fixed my Father-in-Law's old printing time
stamp. It was a beastly device with a large solinoid and open contacts
connected to a live arm in the paperslot (no foil papers in his day).

I tested the device open and it kept time. I closed it and plugged it
in. Later I took a Fax in to time stamp it. Fumes had accumulated in
the housing. I shoved the fax in and the arc as I withdrew it set off
the WD-40 which in turn set the fax on fire and burned all the hair
off my arm. A true Adams Family device.

I have fixed so many things with WD-40 in the past and I have just recently
found out that the stuff can be dangerous in electrical appliances and
devices. Turns out that the stuff is wickedly flammable ( *I have never
had a fire as a result of using WD-40 but let's just say that I am good at
learning from others. Anyone here ever have a problem with the stuff?