Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon[_3_] Jon[_3_] is offline

Default Cold room above garage (did you fix yours?)

On 4 Mar, 22:37, "Doki" wrote:
Jon wrote:
Maybe I'd be better off insulating the garage. But the garage door has
so many gaping holes letting cold air in through the gap between the
frame that it'd not be cost effective either unless I changed the door
(expensive).

I'd be inclined to do the garage. OTOH if it's particulary small, you'll
probably not be able to open car doors when you've lost 6" or so off the
walls for insulation. Could you not use foam tape around the door?

I think I'll start off with some 50mm celotex on the back of the
garage door and insulate any draughts coming through the gaps at the
side this weekend.

Is there any reason why I can't just attach a layer of celotex over
the plastered ceiling in the garage? I know it won't be as pretty as
white plasterboard, but the flame retardent barrier would still be in
tact, albeit covered with celotex. It will also save me a lot of work
removing/replacing plasterboard yet provide a thermal barrier between
the garage and room above.