DoN. Nichols

Default Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug

In article ,
Dennis van Dam wrote:
In article , Ned Simmons
wrote:

[ ... ]

Look at McMaster-Carr p/n 10595K14. Does that look like
what you've got? If so, and the fitting is still OK, you'll
need something like p/n 1090K54.

[ ... ]

That's basically what it is only instead of being Style 3 your part number
indicates it would be more like style 1 or style 2 which are round at the
OD instead of hex shaped.

[ ... ]

I could just leave the whole arrangement as is and, as you suggest, get a
special narrow coupler to get lube through the fitting to the spindle
bearings but that won't address removing the plug in the event that I need
to adjust the preload on the spindle bearings.

Accordingly I finally decided to drill the fitting out so that I could get
a hex key in and remove the plug.

Hmm ... one thing which I just thought of -- too late, I know --
was to take an appropriate sized hex key, cut off the bent end, and put
it in the lathe to bore out everything up to a diameter corresponding to
the dimension across the flats. This would give you something which
could slide in the little corners between the cylindrical body and the
hex screw socket. Not good for much torque, but probably enough to
unscrew the device, as the cylindrical part would give some support to
the fingers from collapsing.

[ ... ]

Either that or a predrilled plug was threaded into the quill and then the
flush grease fitting was set all the way in to the predrilled hole in the
plug but since the plug is already installed it doesn't matter that you
can no longer get a hex key in (thus a one way trip unless you drill the
fitting out).

Unless the modified hex key would work.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564