Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default Best way to repair a solid front door

.

2) �I can drill in from the edge and countersink some long lag bolts
through (the split is about 8 inches from the edge) to pull it back
together, then plug the holes. �This can be done without removing the
heavy door and will maintain the width.

Any ideas would be appreciated. �Thanks.

--
Blog Me! �http://BitchSpot.JadeDragonOnline.com

Brian

I too saw a similar drilling method on Ths Old House.

It seemed to me that the "lag" bolts/screws they used had threads that
were just on the last few inches of the bolt, near the tip. Then a
suitable shoulder for/on the head to act as a pull point to pull the
joint together. In between the shoulder and the threads the diameter
was reduced so the edge of the door would not split.

I would stay away from the conventional lag screws as they will cause
splitting of the wood near the head because you will have to make the
hole for the bolt too large. When putting another type of lag screw in
the threads will go through the edge of the door on their way to the
inner part and then you will be able to easily pull the split
together.

Look at mcmaster.com for what you need in lag screws.

Sears among others sells a drill fixture/holder that will allow you to
drill the necessary holes straight into the wood. You may have to make
a fixture to provide sufficient flat area to use this drill holder on
the edge of the door.

Does the door have hinges with removable pins so you can remove it for
a short time to do the work?

Bob AZ