Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Well Questions - Shock Chlorination and Hardness Treatment Suggestions

Nona wrote:
Hello,

We recently made some repairs to our well. The pump gave out and was
replaced and the 6.25" steel casing was sleeved with a 4" PVC pipe to
attempt to reduce the amount of sediment and iron in the water. We
were told by the health department that we would need to shock
chlorinate the well after the repairs to destroy any bacteria. Since
there were no bacteria present prior to the repairs, we didn't think
we needed to do this.

You've just had a liner added that has been manufactured and installed by
man. You must therefore expect coliforms.

We just got our water test results back and, sure enough, there is
coliform bacteria present in the water now (although fortunately no E.
coli). We have been reading a lot about shock chlorination and the
instructions vary from site to site, with the chlorine to sit in the
system for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours. My first question is:

1) Is there any harm in leaving the chlorine in the system for 1 week
while we are on vacation and then flushing it when we return? Is 12
hours really long enough for this type of treatment?

Absolutely none. A week should be good provided chlorinated to above 40
mg/l., I'd rather 100ppm - sorry mg/l. I am personally sceptical of only 12
hours soak dependent upon conditions. Take your vacation, enjoy, - and flush
on your return.

The other question I have relates to water treatment systems. Based
on our recent water test, our water is as follows (values above
recommended limits are starred):

Harness: 220*
pH: 7.1
Iron: 0.26 mg/l (the PVC sleeving process cut this in half from a
prior reading of 0.47 mg/l)
Manganese: 0.26* mg/l
Sodium: 14 mg/l
Calcium: 74 mg/l
Chloride: 11 mg/l
Sulfate: 11 mg/l
Small amounts of lead, copper, zinc and toluene (far below the
hazardous limits)

Those numbers seem fair to me.

The system I am thinking of using is the Puritec MC Series Complete
because I like the idea that it can soften water without the use of
salt and is pretty much maintenance free.
http://www.puritec.com/store/moreinf...Product_ID=258

No contractors we have talked to have ever heard of these Puritec
systems and there is almost no data on how effective they are. My
other questions a

2) Is the Puritec MC Series Complete a reputable brand?

3) Does anyone have any suggestions for treatment systems based on the
above water test results?

Cannot advise you of equipment that side of The Pond. My main concern would
be about bugs not the minerals.

HTH

Clot