Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default transformer oil

snip
Mineral oil.

snip
I certainly wouldn't want to buy mineral oil in quantity in the sort
of pint bottles you find at a pharmacy... too expensive that way. The
least expensive place to get pure mineral oil is probably a veterinary
supply store. It's used as a laxative for animals. The cheapest
online price I see in Google is under $11/gallon, which is reasonably
competitive with motor oil.

Food-grade and animal-grade mineral oil would lack the possible
toxicity issues which might come with the additives in motor oil.

I believe Johnson's baby oil is mineral oil with an added fragrance.