Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default GFI circuit breaker trouble

GFI outlets actually work better than using the GFI breaker. If you have
any residual leakage upstream from the outlet, it doesn't add to the
trip current that the outlet protects against. Should be a big deal in a
residence, it can be a real pain in a barn or other similar place with
damp conditions and long runs.

Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:49:03 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:23:12 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I have a circuit protected by a GFI circuit breaker that has failed. So far,
I eliminated anything plugged in or switched. Also determined that the
circuit is fine with a standard breaker and draws no current. So, I left it
this way for now.

Its impossible to check the actual wire runs behind the sheetrock. Is there
anything else to check as a possible source of the trouble?

Karl
GFI's are not forever. My first suspect would be the GFI itself. Easy
to check by substitution because GFI's are inexpensive -- which is
part of why they aren't forever.

GFCI receptacles are inexpensive, GFCI breakers are not.

You are correct. I assumed receptacles. If it's a 15-amp or 20-amp
115-volt circuit, then the run can be wired so the first receptacle is
a GFCI receptacle that also protects everything downstream of it -- or
not, depending on how it's wired.