Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default GFI circuit breaker trouble

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:49:03 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:23:12 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I have a circuit protected by a GFI circuit breaker that has failed. So far,
I eliminated anything plugged in or switched. Also determined that the
circuit is fine with a standard breaker and draws no current. So, I left it
this way for now.

Its impossible to check the actual wire runs behind the sheetrock. Is there
anything else to check as a possible source of the trouble?

Karl

GFI's are not forever. My first suspect would be the GFI itself. Easy
to check by substitution because GFI's are inexpensive -- which is
part of why they aren't forever.

GFCI receptacles are inexpensive, GFCI breakers are not.

You are correct. I assumed receptacles. If it's a 15-amp or 20-amp
115-volt circuit, then the run can be wired so the first receptacle is
a GFCI receptacle that also protects everything downstream of it -- or
not, depending on how it's wired.