Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Comcast Newsgroups Comcast Newsgroups is offline

Default Problem with Tim Skilton Premium Sanding Pads

Sounds like too agressive sanding to me. The Velcro hooks melt quite easily
and when that happens they're done.............Ralph

"burly pete" wrote in message
Hi Folks

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem that I'm having
with the Tim Skilton Premium Sanding Pads that are available at Lee
Valley.
I use the new wave sanding discs to finish my turnings. I can actually
wear out the sandpaper with no problems on the lathe
When I try to use this set up to sand my larger carvings and
sculptures the sanding discs tend to loose their grip on the velcro
sanding pad and come off. A sanding disc may last from 1min to 5min at
the best.
Once the sanding dics comes off that's it, it will not grip again. I
thought it might be the wood dust building since it doesn't get thrown
off as it does on the lathe. I used the shop vac but it still happens.
I have tried new velcro, different sanding pads , even cut out a disc
from my RO disc sandpaper but the problem still happens. This has
being going on for over a year so I don't think it could be a bad lot
of materials.
There is a lot more stress being put on the discs while sanding on the
lathe than there is on the carving.
The only thing I can see being the problem is the velcro is made in a
way that it needs both the disc and the work to rotate.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

I contacted Lee Valley about this and all they can do is offer and
exchange or refund