Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Good book on Critical Path Management

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 04:33:36 -0500, Wes wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:

I need to document a process. Up until now, they used a simple
timeline, but that was when there was 18 months to make it work. Now 18
weeks is a luxury (closer to 30 days, minus)

Microsoft Project works pretty good. CA had a similar product and may
still. Critical path, AKA Show Stopper.

Sadly many members of a project look at a time line and say, I've got x days
before I worry about that instead of, oh, I can get that done now.

===========
Indeed, again emphasizing that the huge majority of cpm/pert
"problems" will be internal to the organization/personnel, and
not with the "software."

In far too many cases the introduction of CPM/PERT [project
management] is simply an attempt to implement a technical
solution to non-technical [i.e. personnel/organizational
dynamics] problems in attempt to avoid what are generally very
unpleasant managerial responsibilities/tasks such as
confrontations with and terminations of, long term associates.
===========

Wes

=========
Be reminded that with the deindustrilization of America, CPM/PERT
and the project management packages and texts now stress software
development rather than hard product production, with some
recognition of building construction.

For some more info on CPM/PERT see
http://road.uww.edu/road/housemaj/Ch...ngProjects.ppt
http://books.google.com/books?id=lih6Y7xXrVwC

for info on specific project management packages see
http://www.softwaremag.com/L.cfm?Doc...epPMTools.html

other software packages include
http://www.minuteman-systems.com/min...uctdetails.htm
http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/proje...t-software.htm
http://www.aecsoftware.com/products/...ack/quicktour/

for low cost alternatives [but with less capabilities] see
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...tml?tag=search

CA's program is (was?) called "SuperProject," and appears to be
at version 6 in the UK, but not listed on the CA US web site. Be
reminded that CA (Computer Associates) is having problems in
meeting their promises/claims, specifically rebates on their
software. SuperProject prices appear to be comparable to M/S
project, with slightly fewer capabilities.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and