Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle Scratch Ankle is offline

Default Pith - The Pits!?

"charlieb" wrote in message

I'm using the same lathe and have the same problems using green branches. I
don't know the answer to your question but I've recently been turning some
Bradford Pear. I had one piece that split at the pith on both sides of the
bowl (I was turning crosswise). It was a minor crack on each side. It was
rainy so I had left them outside and things were great until we got a drying
wind. That's when the cracks appeared. But the weather turned cold and
they closed up. Warm they opened again and cold they closed again and
pretty much stayed closed. Then I finished with oil and in two days one of
them split seriously. These had fairly thick walls

One thing I am currently trying that has worked so far is I turn to finish
size (much thinner walls) and place the item in a plastic bag and leave like
that for a week although I do check wipe out the water that has seeped out.
That's more a matter of I got to see what's happening rather than thinking I
need to wipe out the water. I then open the bag up so a little air can get
it and spend another week letting it dry that way. So far, two Bradford
Pear bowls with lids have dried without warping or cracking and three oak
(two with lids) dried without issue. The oak is a branch that fell and took
out part of the roof on my shed -- I'm seeing some minor spalting in this
but there is enough water in it that an earlier attempt split from the
moisture in it. They have all been sitting out on the table without issue
for more than a week although that wasn't by plan, just worked out that way.
Generally I've seen cracks long before now so I am hopeful that this is
going to work. the paper bags, damp shavings, etc. have not worked.