Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

"Wes" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I also know how to use them, and can measure
consistently to .0002".

Did you notice that measurements tend to run to the undersize or is it
just
me?

Wes

It's likely in your converting the feel from the bore to the mic. It
takes a lot of practice to acquire the proper feel. If you have access to
a calibrated ring gauge, you might consider measuring again and again until
you have a sense of what's right, and what's wrong.

Regards my measurements, when it gets down to a couple tenths, I simply
measure a few times and look to see that I'm not exceeding the desired size
by more than a tenth or two. If I can get a reading consistently, I'm
fairly confident that I've achieved a true reading. Helps when you can
verify the reading with a dial bore or a pin (Deltronics, for example).

Harold