Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default transformer oil

Perhaps you should first do some reading on the properties of transformer
oil
before making an arbitrary decision to use automotive grade oil in your
transformer. The old and venerable J&P Transformer Book has good
information on
this subject. Using the wrong oil may compromise your transformer - and
your
insurance if it bursts into flames.

Long url so watch line wrap.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...&hl=en#PPP1,M1

Hey that looks like a pretty handy book.

LOL as for insurance, if they saw the "transformer" in the first place,
they'd probably crap a brick sideways. I think the oil bursting into flames
is the least of my worries with this unarguably dangerous concoction. At any
rate it will never be used for more than a few tens of seconds at a time,
and only while closely supervised. What fun is life without a little risk of
being vaporized?