Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default GFI circuit breaker trouble

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:23:12 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I have a circuit protected by a GFI circuit breaker that has failed. So far,
I eliminated anything plugged in or switched. Also determined that the
circuit is fine with a standard breaker and draws no current. So, I left it
this way for now.

Its impossible to check the actual wire runs behind the sheetrock. Is there
anything else to check as a possible source of the trouble?

Karl

What's on the circuit? Is it something that is better protected by
a GFCI receptacle?

The long wire run adds a lot of inductance that can give you false
trips with big load changes, where it won't if the GFCI is at the
receptacle closest to the load.

I have a batch of pedestals on a dock we have to rework - 50 to 250
foot wire run with a photocell and magnetic ballast with a 7W PL lamp.
When the PCell /opens/ the inductive kick trips the GFCI breaker.

We're going to try a PF Correction (run) capacitor across the
ballast, as soon as someone at Advance figures out what size. If that
doesn't work, it's either electronic ballasts or LED lights.

-- Bruce --