Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default transformer oil

In article 3k%yj.13936$ES.918@trnddc05,
James Sweet wrote:

Mineral oil.

Isn't that primarily what motor oil is? I can get small bottles of clear
mineral oil at the pharmacy, but it would cost a fortune to get the gallon
or two I need.

Motor oil usually contains a complex series of additives, which might
or might not be compatible with electrical applications.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy mineral oil in quantity in the sort
of pint bottles you find at a pharmacy... too expensive that way. The
least expensive place to get pure mineral oil is probably a veterinary
supply store. It's used as a laxative for animals. The cheapest
online price I see in Google is under $11/gallon, which is reasonably
competitive with motor oil.

Food-grade and animal-grade mineral oil would lack the possible
toxicity issues which might come with the additives in motor oil.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO