Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default transformer oil

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:26:56 GMT, James Sweet wrote:
Will ordinary 10w30 motor oil work ok as transformer oil? This is for
some
HV experimenting, not any sort of commercial or permanently installed
product. It's thermally stable and not particularly flammable, but I
don't
know how the various additives affect the insulating properties. Is there
better choice that I can pick up locally for a reasonable price?

Mineral oil.

Isn't that primarily what motor oil is? I can get small bottles of clear
mineral oil at the pharmacy, but it would cost a fortune to get the gallon
or two I need.