Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme eclipsme is offline

Default To Turbine or not to turbine

DonkeyHody wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:15 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
One of my many goals in life is learning
how to finish a woodworking project
without making myself completely crazy.

In order to further this goal, learning
how to shoot a finish with a spray
gun ranks waaay up there.

I know a few of the folks on the list own
and use turbines of various flavors
and I have noticed a slight decline
in the cost of turbine outfits.

I found a low-end Turbinaire unit for $569
and a slighly better one for $697.

I might even find a used unit on Ebay... who knows ???

I have a large air compressor but after
doing a fair amount of research,
these turbine packages seem to be a
much better solution.

There is no concern of air quality,
no moisture issues, no junk in the air lines,
no concern of air quanity, large CFM numbers, etc,etc.

The overspray even
seems to be a non-problem with the HVLP technology.

Is this all hype or is this turbine the real answer
to getting a decent finish with a spray gun ???

I also assume a fairly stiff learning curve on
spraying.

I have a turbine HVLP spray unit. It leaves a beautiful finish, and
it's easy to use. But I only drag it out for really big finish
projects. It's so much trouble to clean up that I use wipe-on
finishes for smaller projects.

DonkeyHody
"We can't all be heros because somebody has to sit on the curb and
clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Hmm... I found a well used unit a a flea market for $65US. Works great
(lucky me), but the cleanup couldn't be easier. Rinse out the cup, run
water through the tube thingy, and clean the little guide thingy that
screws on the front. Takes 5 minutes. I guess different ones are made
differently. I would definitely pay attention to what is needed to clean it.

Harvey