Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Delta Lathe 46-700

"George" writes:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
m...
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100
that appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point
but I'm willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can
always come up with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

Most who have say stay away. Noisy, mechanically unreliable, and the
"finish" on the originals will scrape the skin off your arm if you brush
against it.

I disagree. I've had one for a decade, and while I wouldn't use it to
turn large bowl blanks, it's just dandy for spindle turning and faceplate
work. It was more than USD400 new, so USD100 seem a pretty good deal
if it's in good condition.

I'd check the sheaves on the variable speed drive before purchase.

Noisy is relative. Compared to a table saw, jointer or planer it is
pretty quiet.

scott