Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Problem with Tim Skilton Premium Sanding Pads

"Fred Holder" wrote in message

The other advice I can offer is to use as larger pad as possible. The
larger pad has a greater surface area to absorb heat, this translate
into longer life for the velcro.

I'm going to dissent here too. The greater radial velocity on edge of the
larger disk results in a greater "kick" against the tool providing the
power, and the hand holding that tool. The natural response to this
perceived loss of control is to bear down, which puts greater stress on the
velcro hold and results in greater heat.

On those occasions where I resort to coarser grits, I will only use smaller
diameter disks because the combination of greater grab and greater speed
makes them too difficult to control.