Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Delta Lathe 46-700

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:54:52 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

LRod wrote:

I'm not. I'm in Ormond Beach, FL. My daughter lived there (a
subdivision south of the big mall on Tyvola/Fairview--it's all left me
now) for about two years, but she's back in FL now, although not as
near to us as when she was before she moved to CLT.

I know the area she lived in well... I'm only a couple of miles away myself.
And I even know Ormond Beach. Back in the days when I was running a scuba shop
here in Charlotte, I used to fly down to the Bahamas periodically. V3 ran down
the coast and right over Ormond Beach (112.6 MHz)... I'd follow it down to Vero
Beach and then cut over to Grand Bahama Island and points eastward. The good
old days.

Now you're not going to fool this old ZJX controller. You had to go
over FML (probably, assuming you were flying out of Douglas) first,
then CAE, then SAV to pick up V3, since it came over SOP, FLO, CHS,
NBC (I don't think there was a VOR at NBC--probably just the TACAN,
but we wrote strips for it for separation purposes), before getting to
SAV.

From there it went over SSI to JAX, then to DAB, VRB, PBI ending at
BSY, as I recall. Now the important thing is DAB. The VOR is located
on the Ormond Beach airport despite the Daytona airport being some 9
miles south. After the AVL accident around 1973 (I think) in which
there had been confusion over two similarly named facilities which
were not collocated, the FAA went around and changed all of the
non-collocated identifiers to eliminate the problem.

JAX became CRG (VOR is on Craig Field), DAB became OMN, and dozens of
other examples. It may be that was already done by the time you were
flying it. Back in the day for me is 1968 to 1973. Then I transferred
to ORD and ZAU. I've been retired ten years.

The good old days indeed. Mine are just a little older, I suspect.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.