Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32544 Ignoramus32544 is offline

Default PICTURES -- Repainted Famco 3R Arbor Press

On Mar 3, 6:42 am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-03-03, wrote:

Another question concerns mounting. I want to bolt it to the same
moving work table that it is on now.

Am I correct in thinking that it needs to be mounted with its "throat"
opening forward of the table? That is, its base should not be 100% on
the table, but the front part needs to "hang" in front? That would let
me press long things out of whatever they are stuck in. Right?

Actually, no. Kind of depends on what you want to use it for and how
heavy the table is. As you pull the handle, the press will want to
follow it and tip the table. So, ideally the tip of the press handle
will be just above the edge of the table when you apply maximum
pressure.

The table is very heavy, it will not tip if I pull down on the handle
of the bolted down press. Even without my stuff, it weighs, perhaps,
300 lbs. It is very heavy. The steel top is 1/4" steel.