Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Forklift battery info

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:08:24 -0500, Randy wrote:

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:12:38 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Randy wrote:
Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell.

That 12 and 11 plate thing makes no sense at all to me. Does anyone else
understand what he's trying to say?

Jeff

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-acid_battery

Each cell has alternating lead plates with a separator inbetween them,
one plate forms the positive and one plate forms the negative, these
plates are laid up side by side until a cell of 2 volts is created.
The size of the plates in square inches of surface area determines its
amp/hour capacity.

More clear?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Still wrong. Only takes 2 plates to make 2 volts The extra plates, in
parallel, produce more CAPACITY.