Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Oh boy...

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:02:13 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

What purpose does the mercury serve here? Does it simply provide a
desired quench rate, or is there some sort of chemical
reaction/bonding/etc between the steel & the mercury?

Just curious.

Neither in this case. It just happens to be in the work area in large
quantities. I beleive it has something to do with the part and it's
standard workign atmosphere. Coolant is nonn-existant on this process, thus
the challenge.

Sorry, I was responding to BillM's comment about gunsmiths quenching
drill bits in mercury, although your issue is curious as well...

Joe